Common Steps for Working Together on Headshots
The following information is provided for your convenience to provide some understanding of how we’ll work together, requirements, and to answer any general questions you might have.
- There are common sessions and rates for sessions providing 1, 2, 5 and 10 finished headshots. Custom rates are also possible. Please inquire for pricing.
- For proper planning, please inform the photographer what you’ll use the headshots for (i.e., for submitting to casting agencies, to post to LinkedIn, etc.)
- Depending on the focus of the shoot, we may use a mood board to determine looks you want to accomplish, particularly for actors and models
- The session for 1 or 2 headshots do not allow for a look change (though quickly putting on or taking off a jacket is fine). The sessions for 5 or 10 do allow for look changes
- Upon finishing the photo shoot, you will be provided a link to review preview versions of the headshots taken (low-resolution thumbnail-style images)
- Depending on the chosen session, there might be from 20 to 100+ to select from
- You will select a preset number of photos to have touched-up and provided in high resolution
- Other photos taken during the shoot will also be provided as JPEG files*
- I will do touch-ups on the selected photo(s) (one revision is done per photo, included in pricing for a set selected number of photos)
- Touch-ups may include toning skin, removing eye and skin blemishes, stray hair, excessive lint on clothing, etc.
- Finished photos are provided as high-resolution 8×10″ PNG files that are print-quality and also as web-ready JPEG files (smaller files suited for posting online)
- RAW (original source files) files are not provided unless a per-image copyright buyout is accomplished as a separate and additional agreement
- Finished files are then provided to you via a link where you may download them
- Turnaround time for previews is typically within 1-2 days and another 1-2 days for finished images, after your selections are received
*For all other photos from a photo shoot not selected to be touched-up, you may get a web-quality JPEG file version of most of them (up to the first 200 photos). Photos to be determined by the photographer as non-usable, may not be included (for example, if a photo was blurry, if the subject is not in an ideal position or with a good luck [closed eyes, etc.], test photos such as those to determine composition, etc.). The photographer reserves all rights to exclude any photo determined not to meet photographer’s quality standards. These extra files are generally provided only as PNG files of approximately 1,920 ppi size (long edge). Some basic post-production corrections may also be applied to these photos, such as exposure corrections, cropping, color correction, etc.
- A signed permission for photography and release from liability are required.
- A booking fee of $25 or 20% (whichever is higher) is needed to reserve your spot and the fee is applied to your total balance due
- Cancellations within 24 hours of a session are non-refundable but the booking fee can be applied to a re-scheduling
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can I pay?
Accepted payments include cash, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express, PayPal or Zelle. Sorry, no personal checks or crypto-currencies accepted.
Do you use studio lighting or natural light?
Both, though the use of studio lighting is highly recommended for headshots and, if desired, additional photos using natural light can then be used to complement studio headshots. Commercial-grade lighting and camera equipment are used to ensure high quality. Photos are also touched-up via commercial-grade applications.
Does your studio offer parking and Wi-Fi?
Yes. There is free parking on the studio lot. There is also abundant free street parking. Wi-Fi details are in the studio for access during your visit.
Can I bring a prop?
Props are okay to bring but, please clear them with the photographer before bringing them to ensure they are allowed on the premises.
Can I bring a friend or co-worker with me to the shoot?
Yes. But, again please clear it with the photographer ahead of time
Do you do outdoors headshots?
Yes, though travel time does count toward a photo shoot’s session time. The studio has a convenient garden area in the back and there are permitted parks within 5-10 minutes of the studio location.
Do we need permissions to do photography and who owns the photos?
Yes. It’s important to understand that by U.S. copyright law photographers own the copyright to any photo or video created, even with your likeness or property in them. But, photographers cannot sell or use your likeness in the photos without your permission. So, a permission for photography and their use is needed. We do this paperwork at the beginning of a shoot. If we are shooting at a location, there are permits required for shooting at there. If it’s your home or other property, a property release is needed. The LA area is difficult when it comes to doing photography in public places – generally permits are required and they can cost hundreds of dollars. I have permits in place to use select LA county parks and beaches for photo shoots, saving you this cost. Also, a signed liability release is also required.
Go back to photo example choices.